MAIN THREAD: Books! And, of course, general discussion

 So the conversation direction led me to this week's general topic of books.

Reminder: this is just the general blog topic.  Discuss anything else in the room as well. 

With that little piece of business (oh noez, a certain lurker hates when I use that term... 😆) out of the way, on to the subject at hand.

The importance of books really doesn't need much explanation. Whether it be works of fiction, informative, true life, whatever, the written word has been a staple of civilization and history for millenia, no matter the medium (tablets, scrolls, etc). Why, even at a young age we're taught (or used to be taught) the values of reading. 

I used to read a lot more than I do now, but I still like to grab a good book from time to time. I also have a nice collection of tomes to dig into when the urge arises.  I also like to peruse magazines and comic books.

One genre that I'm into is, naturally, pro wrestling autobiographies. Listening to the journey a certain person has went on to develop his or her craft, and the stories they experienced along the way, is very engaging to me. Even if you're not a wrestling fan, I recommend picking up a few. Hitman: My Real Life in the Cartoon World of Wrestling by Bret Hart, any of Jericho's or Mick Foley's books, and especially the Bobby Heenan ones, are great reads.

Moving on, I used to also devour John Grisham novels. That guy has a way of making legal drama next to impossible to put down. I never thought I'd be into that type of thing, but I would read anything I could find of his. 

I'm not gonna keep droning on and on about the subject or my personal likes. That's what the thread is for. So, saying that, what are some of your likes and recommendations? What do you like about certain books?  

We all know Sci-fi Jim has a certain affinity for one specific genre, and our newest community member Gman seems to be well versed in the literary works.  So have at it, Gardenites! (Yeah, I know.  Don't worry, I won't be patenting that or anything......) 


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Old Thread: Favorite (and least favorite) finishing move names. And, of course, general discussion.

OLD THREAD: Old school video games, board games, and general discussion

Old Thread: The Heart of Rock and Roll